Friday 10 August 2012

The city with the pink elephant

The sun does not shine on Brussels. In fact, it is pretty much the same here as it is in Scotland but slightly less miserable and a bit more classy. I began my time by exploring the area of Ixelles around Flagey and heading to the Justice Palace. I had a lot of detours on my route through little alleys and walking into small antique shops filled with aromas of sandal wood, smoke and candle wax. The Belgian people are all very lovely and extremely friendly,like my host, Harold who actually drew a handmade map for me this morning so that it'll be slightly easier for me to go exploring.

My feet are now killing me and I couldn't be a happier cookie. I love getting lost in the little nooks and crannies of this graffitied city and letting my feet take me wherever they wish. Like now, I'm sitting next to a beautiful fountain in some tiny little square that I never would have found if I was looking for it. Expect the unexpected! Adventure is out there!

As my day slowly begins to end and the sun begins to set, it makes those beautiful sunny reflections on the tops of all the buildings making this city look even more magnificent than before. People begin to gather for evening drinks at the terraces of the numerous pubs and the streets begin to thrive. Some people sit with their friends, complaining about work, others, like me, sit alone and happily watch the life around them, and then there is a third kind, the ones that decide to have a special evening with their loved one. It's all very classy as most people decide to dress up a little for each other or even just for themself.

The ambience here is fantastic because the people here lead a simple yet quite effective life. They enjoy life and everything seems to run smoothly. There is no need for rushing and running around, which makes life that much more relaxed. I am trying to figure out why the Belgians differ so much from their French neighbours. After all they have a very similar culture in many ways and share the same language but the Belgians are way more easy going. Basically, they know how to pace their life. Maybe they are not afraid of ageing? It seems that way anyway, I say this looking at an elderly couple kissing in their car. Or maybe they love their life and are not afraid to show it?

Brussels is also much more multi-cultural than most people would think, and I'm not just talking about the expats who work for the E.U. Parliament. Very many different ethnic groups can be seen strolling along the streets of Brussels which is also reflected in the variety of shops and restaurants. The other thing that is great here, which I just had to test, of course, is the beer. It was fantastic! The beer in itself fits with the personality of the city and its people- it's smooth!




We must not only give what we have; we must also give what we are. - Desire-Joseph Mercier

No comments:

Post a Comment